Douglass High School

Frederick Douglass High School has been many things since it was first incorporated into the Columbia School District in 1865 as an all-black school. The high school program is believed to have been started around 1887. After Brown vs. Board of Education in 1954, Douglass was designated one of Columbia’s seven elementary schools and the junior and senior high programs were slowly phased out. In 1967, Douglass became the home of the district’s new continuing education program created by former principal Eliot Battle. The district’s Secondary Learning Center — recognized by the district and by former Gov. John Ashcroft as a model program — was relocated to the Douglass building in 1985. In November 1992, the Columbia School Board voted a name change for the Secondary Learning Center back to Frederick Douglass High School. Douglass once again became an official, accredited high school in 1993, and its mascot was changed to the original bulldog. Douglass’ mission is to “re-engage students at risk of dropping out to achieve successful high school completion and design a positive, productive post-secondary transition plan.”

Information

310 N. Providence Road,

573-214-3680

www.cpsk12.org/Domain/15

Mascot: Bulldogs

Year school opened: 1885

Number of students: 189

Students per classroom teacher: 10