Columbia’s population swells with the start of each new school year, and all those new people mean more cars. As you head into the community, here’s what you need to know about parking:
The city has six multi-level parking garages in downtown Columbia, which all include hourly spaces. The hourly spaces at the Seventh and Walnut garages use a “ticket and attendant” system. Most of the rest of the garages utilize pay machines that use a pay in advance system — a patron notes their parking space number and pays the machine for that space for the anticipated time they will be parked. The exception is the Eighth and Cherry Street garage, which has parking meters. Meter rates are 50 cents per hour in the hourly spaces.
- Tenth and Cherry Street Garage, 1000 Cherry St.: 104 hourly spaces
- Sixth and Cherry Street Garage, 555 Locust St: 78 hourly spaces
- Eighth and Cherry Street Garage, 14 S. Eighth St.: 39 hourly spaces
- Eighth and Walnut Plaza Garage, 17 N. Eighth St.: 99 hourly spaces
- Fifth and Walnut Street Garage, 500 E. Walnut St.: 78 hourly spaces
- Short Street Garage, 1110 E. Walnut St.: 26 hourly spaces
Parking enforcement in city garages runs from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Parking in city garages is free on Saturday and Sunday.
The city has 138 metered off-street parking spaces and 1,683 metered on-street spaces. Time limits on most downtown spaces ranges from 24 minutes to four hours, with some as long as 10 hours. There are also 71 disabled access parking spaces. Metered parking enforcement is from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Meter rates are 60 cents per hour downtown and 75 cents per hour in the campus zone.
Parking violations and fines include:
- Public parking violation: $15
- Parking in municipal rental lots: $15
- Parked in rental space-municipal garage: $15
- Overtime parking in disabled zone: $15
- Parked overtime at time limited space: $15
- Parked overtime at time limited meter: $15
- Handicapped parking violation: $100
Fines on these violations increase to $30 if not paid within 15 days.